Table of Contents
What are 3 achievements of Donatello?
Donatello | 10 Facts On The Famous Renaissance Sculptor
- #1 He apprenticed with prominent Florentine sculptor Lorenzo Ghiberti.
- #2 Donatello was a friend of the famous architect Filippo Brunelleschi.
- #3 His first major work was the marble David.
- #5 Donatello invented his own mode of relief known as schiacciato.
What did Donatello the artist invent?
Donatello invented his own bold new mode of relief in his marble panel St. George Killing the Dragon (1416–17). Known as schiacciato (“flattened out”), the technique involved extremely shallow carving throughout, which created a far more-striking effect of atmospheric space than before.
What did Raphael create?
Raphael is probably most famous for his paintings, including Madonna in the Meadow (1505/06), School of Athens (c. 1508–11), Sistine Madonna (1512/13), The Transfiguration (1516–20), and Portrait of Baldassare Castiglione (c. 1514–15).
Where did Donatello spend most of his time?
Donatello lived in Florence for most of his life. He also spent time working in Rome on various projects but Florence is where he he was from and spent most of his life.
What was Donatello best sculptures?
10 Most Famous Works by Renaissance Artist Donatello
- #10 The Feast of Herod. Type: Bronze Relief.
- #9 Saint Mark. Type: Marble Statue.
- #7 Judith and Holofernes. Type: Bronze Statue.
- #6 St. George Killing the Dragon.
- #5 Zuccone. Type: Marble Statue.
- #4 Saint George.
- #3 Penitent Magdalene.
- #2 Equestrian statue of Gattamelata.
What were Donatello’s beliefs?
Donatello was one of the forerunners of the humanist movement. Humanism is a belief system that values humans individually and collectively and values humans from each perspective possible for humans. This is evident throughout Donatello’s work.